After months-long hiatus, Silesian Stadium reopens to the public. Once again, stadium stands will be filled with spectators during European Athletics Team Championships. The event will be held in Chorzów on the last weekend of May.
European Athletics Team Championships are one of the most important sporting events in the Old Continent. This year’s host is Silesian Stadium, National Athletics Stadium. The championships take place from 29 to 30 May. The Polish Ministry of Culture, National Heritage and Sports supports organization of the event.
– Our resort focuses on sport, which is reflected by the 900 thousands PLN donated for the key athletic event of the year. Upcoming European Athletics Team Championships will be a great sporting event, but also a test of organizational skills. It shows that Poland is not afraid of challenges. It’s significant, because many countries cancel such events due to the pandemic. And yet an international event of this rank is an excellent opportunity for athletes to compete – says Anna Krupka, Deputy Minister of Culture, National Heritage and Sport.
Less than two weeks ago, the best relay teams in the world competed at the facility.
– The first championship event, the World Relay Championship, which was hosted at the Silesian Stadium on May 1-2, was rated very highly by the World Federation. The only thing we lacked was weather, because it was a spectacular athletic feast, from the organizational as well as financial point of view. We are an example that events can be organized safely during a pandemic. We are still fighting to draw attention of the biggest world events to the Silesian Stadium, and I am convinced that this facility will serve for many years to come – says Jakub Chełstowski, Marshal of the Silesian Voivodeship.
7,600 people will be able to follow the struggles of the best European teams during the Team Championship from the stands of the stadium. Spectators will have at their disposal sectors with the best visibility, from which all the athletics competitions can be perfectly watched. Free admission! Entrance through gates 2, 3 and 5.
– What are sports events without fans? We are overjoyed that the upcoming championships will be held with the live audience. It’s thanks to the fans of athletics that the sports heart will beat again at the Silesian Stadium. We keep our fingers crossed for our team, so that, just like in Bydgoszcz in 2019, they take the highest position on the podium again – adds Wojciech Kałuża, Deputy Marshal of the Silesian Voivodeship.
– This is great news if indeed the situation in Poland is such that the national and regional authorities will allow to take part spectators in the Silesian Stadium at the forthcoming European Athletics Team Championships Super League on 29 and 30 May. This means that around 7,600 athletics fans will be able to access the National Athletics Stadium and watch the top eight teams in Europe, including hosts and reigning champions Poland, battle it out to be crowned champions of this biennial team competition – says Dobromir Karamarinov, European Athletics Interim President.
During press conference at the Silesian Stadium, materials promoting the event were presented, including an official poster and advertising spot. Medals for the top three representations were also showcased.
– The medals are made of two parts, each symbolizing the past and present of Silesia. The past is a heavy industry and a mine shaft so characteristic of the Silesian landscape. In turn, the future is sustainable development, ecology and modernity. Silesian Stadium is the symbol of such connection. The idea behind the project was to refer to the uniqueness of the region. The front and the reverse are an integral part, just as the Silesians feel an unbreakable bond with their history and look to the future with pride – says Bartłomiej Kowalski, CEO of the European Team Athletics Championships Silesia 2021.
At the National Athletics Stadium, eight best European teams will compete, including representations from France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Ukraine and Poland. It is worth noting that our team will defend the gold medal won during the last championship in Bydgoszcz in 2019.
The teams will compete in the following events: hammer throw, discus throw, javelin throw, shot put, pole vault, high jump, long jump, triple jump, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 3000m 5,000m, 100m, 110m, 400m Hurdles, 3000m Obstacle Course and 4x100m and 4x400m Relays.
One of the partners of the Team European Athletics Championships Silesia 2021 is Totalizator Sportowy, owner of the LOTTO brand.
– The Silesian Stadium, like Totalizator Sportowy, celebrates its 65th anniversary this year. The ambassador of the anniversary of our company is Robert Lewandowski – the best football player in the world. For years, we have always been there with our fans where the #BigMoments (#WielkieChwile) of Polish sport were happening. Therefore, we couldn’t miss the European Team Athletics Championships, which will be held at this iconic and modern facility. I would like to add that this is the next athletic competition after the LOTTO Memorial of Kamila Skolimowska, which we proudly support as the LOTTO brand – adds Aida Bella, Press Office Director at the Totalizator Sportowy.
All the most important information and interesting facts about the competition are published on the official website dedicated to the event www.silesia21.com and in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
The competitors of the European Athletics Team Championship will be cheered by a unique team of animals – mascots, including: Maji cheetah, Sprinter ostrich, Julian lemur and Lunani giraffe.
Stadion Śląski Sp. z o.o.