Tomorrow the two-day competition for the title of the team champion of the Old Continent will begin at the Silesian Stadium. The event will be held with the participation of the public.
The representative of the European federation emphasized the exceptional importance of the event at today’s press conference.
– Awaiting us tomorrow is the largest outdoor athletics event on the continent. This will be the first meet in a long time to be held with audience in the stadium. Both the fans and the athletes deserve this kind of excitement. I wish all the teams good luck, with the hope that we can ensure their safety and allow them to make it back home healthy – said European Athletics Interim President Dobromir Karamarinov.
The European Athletics Team Championships Silesia 2021, which will be held at the Silesian Stadium on 29 and 30 May, will be attended by nearly 400 athletes representing seven countries. We will be able to see the best athletes from France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Poland at the National Athletics Stadium. A few days before the event, Ukraine had to withdraw from the competition, due to detected cases of COVID19 among the athletes.
Considering the current pandemic situation, the organisers’ priority is to ensure the health and safety of the athletes, as well as all other persons involved in the event.
– The World Athletics Relays we hosted in early May were assessed very positively by World Athletics. We have proven it is possible to organise meets during a pandemic, maintaining the highest standards of safety. In a sense, we are demonstrating our fighting spirit, just like the athletes. In spite of all adversities brought on by the coronavirus, we took on the challenge and we are now on the eve of another major event, the European Athletics Team Championships. For two days, the Silesian voivodeship will play host to top-quality athletes. It will a foretaste of the Olympic Games in Tokyo. A great deal of excitement is in store and, most importantly, the event will take place with people in the stands. The fans are invited to the Silesian Stadium – said Jakub Chełstowski, Marshal of the Silesian Voivodeship.
It is worth noting that this is one of the most important athletic events organized in our continent.
– I am proud of the fact that a second major athletics meet within a month will happen in the Silesian Stadium. I am happy European Athletics sees us as a proven partner. I an hopeful we will put in a fight to defend the title, although, looking at the lineups of the rival teams, it will certainly be a hard fight – Dr Henryk Olszewski, President of the Polish Athletics Association said
It will be a memorable event for the Polish national team. The current European champions will try to defend the title on their home ground.
– I am happy we will meet in the Silesian Stadium again, since I love competing here. I count on the Polish fans carrying us to victory the way they did two years ago in Bydgoszcz. Our team is not full-strength this time, but we will fight for every single point – said Justyna Święty-Ersetic, European 400 metre and 4×400 metre champion.
For many athletes this competition will be one of the last test before the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo. In the Polish team we will have a chance to see athletes with championships achievements, among them Michał Haratyk (shot put), Malwina Kopron (hammer throw) and Kamila Lićwinko (high jump).
– The triple jump at the European Athletics Team Championships will be a difficult competition, because the competition format is different to what we are used to, with the final jump deciding the placings. That’s why I am focusing on doing my best in the final round. The goal for our team is to stay in the Super League, which we fought hard to reach. Our athletes have the motivation and I hope we are able to do it – the European indoor triple jump champion Patricia Mamona said.
Some of the world’s athletics stars will attend the event, including German javelin thrower Johannes Vetter, triple jump specialist Pedro Pablo Pichardo from Portugal, and Italian high jump medalist Gianmarco Tamberi.
– I remember the competition at the European Indoor Championships in Toruń very well. It was one of the best events I have ever participated in. Poland is a great host of championship meets. I am happy to see such a strong Italian team compete this weekend. We are capable of taking on Europe’s top teams – said Gianmarco Tamberi, the 2016 European champion and 2019 European indoor champion in the high jump.
The event will be open to the public. The stands will accommodate 7 600 spectators. Entrance is free of charge! Entry to the stadium will be possible through gates no. 2, 3 and 5 (29 May from 14:00, 30 May from 11:30).
PKN ORLEN is the National Partner of the European Athletics Team Championships Silesia 2021. The Partner of the European Athletics Team Championships Silesia 2021 is Totalizator Sportowy, the owner of the LOTTO brand. The National Partner of the European Athletics Team Championships Silesia 2021 is Węglokoks S.A.
The organization of the European Athletics Team Championships has been financially supported by the Ministry of Culture, National Heritage and Sports.
Stadion Śląski Sp. z o.o.